I had to go to the post office today to pick up a package. I wasn’t home yesterday when they tried to deliver it so I had to go get it (bummer). I took the bus because I was feeling lazy. It’s not that far but some days you just need to take the bus, ya know? So I get to the post office and there’s about 10 stairs to the door. It proved to be very hard to maneuver with a stroller. There is a wheel chair lift next to the stairs so I tried that but it was full of snow and looked unused. I found myself picking up the whole stupid stroller and carrying it up the stairs. I am not a very strong woman I found out, but determination can work wonders! Thankfully some really kind gentleman helped me lift the stroller when he saw me try to lift it down the stairs. I am finding that many Danes are very kind people. If you smile at them, they will smile back and even say hi. They just don’t offer the fake niceties that American society does. I am told they find us Americans to be very fake. How many times when you ask a stranger “How are you?” do you really care what the answer is? I know, very blunt (and some of you are thinking that you do really care, which is great), but it’s just something our society does. I hadn’t really thought about this until I lived elsewhere. The Danes are helpful and warm, but it just takes a bit to get used to them and break through their cold outer shells. Anyway, I got home and tucked the little one in for a nap as she had fallen asleep in her stroller on the way home. I took the dog out for a short walk (and I had a baby monitor on….I promise I do listen to my kid!). It’s hard to walk the dog with the stroller so I don’t do it very often. Our dog was raised with a big yard and had no leash training until we moved him here to the big city. He’s a big guy and really likes to pull. We’re working on it, one day at a time. I walked the dog around our place along the ocean. The wind was calm and there was a bit of snow on the ground. It’s just a gorgeous day out. I stood and looked out to the ocean and realized how very calming the ocean is. Just standing there taking it all in I felt a sense of peace, which is something that I hadn’t felt in a while. Moving across the ocean has really made our lives chaotic. We are finally settling in and getting back to life as usual. Sometimes you just need to stop and smell the ocean! I grew up in the middle of the US and had never seen the ocean until I was 18. I love it out on the farm where I grew up in the middle of nowhere where the air is fresh, too. But when the ocean is calm, it is very peaceful.
I have found a cross stitching project that I’m working
on. It was something I had started back
home but took along to keep me busy. Who
needs stuff to keep you busy when you have a little one?? I use naptime as efficiently as possible and
sew like a mad woman. I could be
cleaning or cooking but some days I just need to sit down with my cup of coffee
and get in some good “mental health time”.
I will try to post pictures of it when I get it done.
Hope you are all well out in Internet Land. Feel free to email or comment if you have
anything to say at all. I would love to
hear from you!
You all must think I ramble a lot J But you are still reading, aren’t you?
No comments:
Post a Comment